Who are Added Bytes?
We're a small company headquartered in the UK, making digital products for creative people, like Readable and ApolloPad. We are remote-first, we have flexible holidays and flexible working hours, we provide mental health support and a training budget, and we have a quarterly profit-share. You can find out lots more about us by checking out the rest of our handbook.
What's The Job?
As the newest Senior Web Developer at Added Bytes, you'll be an ambitious problem solver with an enthusiasm for technology and a passion for language. If you know which end of PHP to hit the ball with, and you aren't afraid of arguing about Oxford commas, this might be the role for you.
This is a senior, full-time role primarily working with an MVC PHP project built on a bespoke framework. We use a wide variety of technologies, including (you don't need to have had experience with all of these on day one, we just want to give you an idea of what you'll be working with) ...
- On the back end: PHP/MySQL/Apache, Memcached, Redis, Beanstalkd, Composer (and looking to add ReactPHP and node.js elements in future)
- DevOps: Git, Prometheus, Grafana, CircleCI (with phpunit, codeception, phpcs, etc), AWS
- Integrations with: Stripe, Slack, Dropbox, Google Analytics, ZohoCRM, SAML/SSO systems
If you're the right person, you will start your time with us working on Readable, our flagship product. Your first few weeks you'll have the time to learn your way around Readable by supporting customers, fixing bugs, and writing (and updating) unit tests. As your knowledge of the product grows, you'll take on development of new features, and then planning and developing of features and helping set the product roadmap.
We've got lots of interesting problems and projects we're working on, from extracting and understanding text content in PDFs and images, to custom text classification systems, to developing machine-learning engines to suggest where you can split long sentences to make them easier to read, to browser extension development and plugins for CMS platforms. Readable's roadmap includes integrations with software like Word and Google Docs, and a Chrome extension.
We also aim to recruit more team members over the next 18 months, so working with and managing a distributed team will be important skills.
- Date Posted: 2021-04-01.
- Closing Date: 2021-07-01.
What Are The Requirements?
- A solid understanding of MVC PHP. Ideally, some background with something like Magento would be useful.
- Experience with Composer and confidence managing PHP dependencies.
- Familiarity with MySQL, including how to write and optimise complex queries, design smart indexes, and work with partitions and replication.
- Experience with development tools like Git, PHPUnit, PHPCS and CircleCI (or similar).
- Plenty of experience with jQuery and good understanding of ajax.
- Experience with HTML and CSS. You don't need to be a designer or a front-end wizzard, but should be comfortable making changes to existing templates and styles.
- Experience with some or all of the following would be very useful:
- Apache and nginx
- Prometheus, Redis & Grafana
- Great communication skills. We are a fully remote team, with a large number of customers in multiple countries, and our flagship product is geared towards clarity of communication.
- Fluency in English. Readable is an English language product at the moment.
What's the Salary?
- Depends on experience, of course, but our budget for this role is in the ballpark of £50,000/year
Where Is it?
We fully support remote working, so location does not make much difference to our enthusiasm to hire you.
Our Standard Perks
Logistically, if you are based in the UK, you would be a direct employee of the company. If based elsewhere, we will work with you to find an employment method which works for us and you. That may mean you work as an independent contractor, or through a Professional Employment Organisation, but our obligations to you, and vice versa, will not be affected by that structure - and we will make sure that is clear in our employment contract with you.
How Do You Apply?
To apply for this role, or to tell us about the role you'd love to have with us instead of this one, introduce yourself and send us your CV: